Strains of Betta splendens by Finnage
- Single-Tail (ST) Bettas (splendens) were the first type of Bettas to be developed after the short finned type.
- Pla Kat (short-tail) Bettas were the first strain developed in Thailand (Siam), as fighting Bettas. They have been breed to majority ofred blue and red green colors. These are the fish that the long finned Bettas we have now originated from.
- Veil Tail Bettas have tails a bit larger than the normal Single-tail, but not as large as the Delta tail.
- Delta Tail Bettas are Bettas with a very large tail. A Delta is anything larger than a Veil Tail (above), and anything smaller than a the straight 180 degrees of the Half-moon.
- Half-Moon Bettas have very large finnage. The Caudical fin is the largest and it is the fin that gives the Half-moon its name. True Half-moons are Bettas whose tails spread out one hundred and eighty (180) degrees, with perfectly straight edges, and a perfect arch, forming Half-moon, hence the name.
- Comb Tail Bettas have rays on finnage.
- Crown Tail Bettas (CT) are comb-tail with longer rays (usually double-ray) first found in Indonesia.
a King Crown Tail bettas are red cross-ray crown tail bettas that haverays cross perfectly. A picture of the first King Crown Tailcan be found in our gallery. We got the picture from Mr. Yin, Henry, the first person who found this strain and most of other crown tail strains. Any colors other than red is classified as;
b Cross Ray Crown Tail
c Random Ray Crown Tail bettas are CT with 2 and 3 and/or 4 rays on tails.
d Multi Ray Crown Tail bettas are CT with split rays up to 4 (Double-Double-Ray (DDR)) or 8 (Double-Double-Double-Ray (DDDR))
e Balloon Crown Tail
f Masculine Crown Tail bettas are CT with square-like rays
- Double-tail Bettas (DT) posses two distinct 'tails' or Caudal lobes with a complete separation to the base of the Caudal peduncle.
- Heart-tail Bettas are a type of Double-tail which split of thedouble-tail is incomplete to the point where all there is a tiny split, like a notch in the tail to make it look much like a heart.
- Triple-tail Bettas are Bettas with three caudal lobes. I have not seen any of the triple-tail bettas. I found on the net that there are only a couple have ever been found or developed.
- Other categories (undefined/ mixture of tail and finnage strains). These are bettas with appearance differ from other.
Halfsun DT BabyCTdouble-ray, humpback "Koinobori" (Ko-e-no-bow-ree) open-mouth-betta, have not taken the pictures yet! .